Saturday, February 25, 2012

#17: Take an Internship at Work

This won't be the most exciting post so I'll keep it short.

The department I currently work in has several different opportunities to take 6 month internships in different specialized groups and I knew that I wanted to complete at least one of these before I left the department.

I was hoping to try our State Relations internship (which works more closely with the states that offer our college savings plans) but it hadn't come available and when the Compliance internship did, I jumped at the opportunity.

For the last four months I've been working with our very small (3 people) compliance group focusing on projects that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do if I didn't attempt to gain the internship role.  I'm having a good time but it is hectic.

What has probably been most beneficial has been learning that I miss contact with people (sometimes clients even!) because I'm tied to my desk all day and don't get a lot of social time with my former teammates and that I really enjoy owning projects.  It makes me feel good to know I owned a project that made a difference.

It's supposed to end April 30 but there is a discussion of a possible extension, which I would certainly consider.  If not, at least I gave it a shot and it helped me figure out some things I'm good at and enjoy at work.  Only time will tell if it helps me make career choices toward a Compliance path.
Oh yeah, and this is how I get people excited about compliance!  Just kidding.  The picture just made me chuckle because this isn't ANYTHING like my job.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment