Monday, October 22, 2012

#24: Clean out my closet and donate clothes

This was a much needed goal.  I was taking up two HUGE walk-in closets at my last apartment, plus some totes and dressers with clothes in them as well.  So, before I moved, I decided it was time to make a big donation and get rid of some old clothes.  I had four giant black garbage bags full of stuff, including the following:

2 pairs of men's swim trunks
23 tank tops
16 pairs of pants / jeans
6 pairs of shoes
4 blouses / sweaters
2 pairs of socks
4 sports bras
5 pairs of brand new underwear (grandma works in retail!)
30 bras (WTF?)
13 pairs of shorts
2 skirts
13 belts (which I should have kept a few of because mine are too big now!)
11 t-shirts
12 miscellaneous items (including books, purses, wallets, and stuffed animals)

These are not my clothes - I filled 4 of the giant black pine-needle type bags.  You get the idea.


I used the Salvation Army range of acceptable donation values to calculate the estimated costs and for as many thousands of dollar$ that I (and more so my parents maybe!) spent on those clothes, the donated value was approximately $400.  It's all for a good cause but man does it make you think about what you spend money on.

I donated to the Dog House Thrift Shop in Lakeside, Arizona because my mom works part time at the Humane Society of the White Mountains and the Dog House uses the sales of their donations to help the Humane Society.  I've always been a huge animal lover so I'm glad that my giant piles of stuff went to a really good cause. 

So adorable!  :)


I have a feeling that I'll be doing another giant closet cleaning next year sometime but we'll have to see....there's a lot more work to be done on that front.

No comments:

Post a Comment