Sunday, October 7, 2012

#19: Play Disc Golf

Maybe first I should describe disc golf just in case any readers haven't heard of it.  It's just like it sounds.  Golf with a disc (frisbee). There are generally 18 holes of play and the winner is the person with the fewest strokes.  Each hole has a "par" number indicating the level of difficulty and distance, just like golf.  I'm sure you can Wikipedia it or check out the PDGA's website for more information but puts looks like this:



This probably sounds a little random that I really want to play disc golf.  But my dad has been playing since I was young and several years ago went pro.  Yes, my dad is a professional athlete.  An elite member of the PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association).

Dad's on the right


I still don't think it's a particularly well known sport but it's getting bigger and you can find courses just about anywhere.  I wanted to play because I wanted to share that experience with my dad.  It's something he's passionate about so I wanted to give it a shot and let him teach me something.  Some of you may or my not know, but my dad and I have had some issues in past.  Nothing serious but we tend to argue hard since we're both stubborn and don't want to give up.  I was a little defiant (to say the least) and haven't always made his job as a dad easy, especially when I was really young and throwing major temper tantrums or in high school where my arguing became more intense.  Things improved when I went off to college and we fight much less.  I've always loved him, and him me but I wanted him to know that I want to spend time with him and have him teach me things.  So disc golf seemed to be the perfect opportunity for some father daughter time.

I finally asked him to take me out when I was home this summer, I think it was probably around the 4th of July.  So he took me out to the course at Show Low Park and we did about 12 holes.  Sometimes I had some decent throws and others I was horrible.  It was probably frustrating for him to have to deal with me climbing through trees to find my disc.  But I had fun and it was a challenge so I hope I can go again.  I wasn't really prepared for taking pictures so I do not have any of myself to document this experience (and thank god no videos, I'd be an internet joke).  But maybe next time, since I do hope and expect that there will be a next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment